I lived in Mavelikara, Kerala from 2006 to 2007. Fast-forward to January, 2011 and I'm returning to Kerala for the first time in four years.

Friday, March 09, 2007

Simmering

I don’t know what to write, or how to express what March feels like in an Indian village. Maybe it’s the books I’ve been reading, maybe it’s a growing desire for some cheese and apples, or maybe it’s just March. My feelings could probably fit into the “culture shock” chart given to us at orientation. I remember looking at that chart during orientation week and wondering: two years in Italy, now three weeks in the U.S. and I leave for India in four days, where do I fit?

Mounting frustrations over the question “What am I doing here?” brought me to the conclusion, “Simply sitting and breathing,” which happens to be the punch line of The Worst Joke in Kerala (Q: What are you doing? A: Simply sitting and breathing. That was the joke). If I were, say, working here instead of volunteering, I could haughtily respond to the question, “What are you doing here?” with a top-notch, important sounding answer. The answer would give my presence significance. A reason for being. People might be impressed. My CV would be flush. Instead, (from this day forward) I say “Simply sitting and breathing.” I am no one of significance in Mavelikara. I’m not organizing, coordinating, or even assisting. My presence is my reason. I’m not important and that is significant. Because of me not being important, I can simmer on what is:

-Diane, a student earning her Master’s in English, told me last night about a friend of hers who asked her to call him “urgently.” Diane tried to contact him from a pay phone during the day to no avail. She told me that she cannot call from the hostel because Ammamma (the warden) would ask questions. “Who are you calling?” “What is your relationship to him?” Diane said Ammamma would assume that they are “in love and going to run away together.” This is an example of the type of assumptions made by adults regarding inter-gender friendships among young people in Mavelikara. Simmering.

- Mary, a freshman studying science, and I had a long conversation about menstruation. This was not “girl talk”, this was much more. She told me about her first period. She is Hindu and, she said, unlike Christians who are embarrassed by the onset of menstruation, Hindus celebrate it as a right of passage worthy of candies and cakes. She went on to talk about everyday life in her home while she’s menstruating, an unusual topic, but I soon understood why it was relevant. She cannot enter certain rooms in her house (the kitchen, the pooja room or prayer room). She sleeps in a different bed. No one can touch her. No one can touch her. No one can touch her. No. One. Can. Touch. Her. Simmering.

-Bishop Moore College (BMC) is a co-ed Christian college. The hostel where I live is for ladies only and is run by BMC. There are a significant number of Hindus living in the hostel (maybe more than there are Christians, a close tie if not) and I recently learned that these students are forbidden from going to temples while they live in the hostel. They are required to go to a Christian prayer service every morning and every evening. It explains why, many weeks ago, I walked out of my room at midnight to see hundreds of little candles lit and twinkling under the dark sky. It was a Hindu holiday that the students had to celebrate in secret at night because they were forbidden from doing so otherwise. Simmering.

-There is a student in second grade named Ryan who is mentally handicapped. The other day he tore his notebook and threw it in the trash. Or it could have been a classmate’s notebook, the language barrier confused things. I watched as the teachers yelled at Ryan and then hit him multiple times on the legs with a bamboo stick as punishment. He didn’t cry. He itched his legs where they stung and moved back towards the wall. Soon a few other boys were questioned and punished in kind. I didn’t know what to do. I tried to muffle my cry of frustration when they began to hit Ryan and the teachers reacted by showing me the trash can filled with discarded notebook and saying “Look! Look!” Simmering.

-The other day I noticed that Ashley has a lisp. What do you do when a kid has a lisp? I don’t know. Will she always have a lisp? Why is speech pathologist so hard to say? Simmering.

Without my room in the “ladies hostel,” my daily routine with the villagers, and my “Simply sitting and breathing,” I wouldn’t have so much on which to simmer. Imagine a pot of water bubbling consistently, not close to boiling over but no where near still. The sound is relaxing and the heated water could cook any fusili to al dente perfection. This is my new metaphor for March. And for my feelings of “anger” (I’m reclaiming the word) and frustration.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am no one of significance in Mavelikara. I’m not organizing, coordinating, or even assisting. My presence is my reason. I’m not important and that is significant.

The folk who gave you orientation, back in the US, failed to tell you one thing: "You are going to India to experience the 'High and Lows,' 'Ebbs and Flows' of life itself."

India did not come to you, you have come to India.

Now about the Simmering:

Deepthi: Malayalee society is not as "open" as most in the west. Most 20-year-olds who live with their parents do communicate with friends (gender is not an issue). If a call is made late in the evening/night - it is only natural of the parents or the warden to ask a few questions.

Deepthi doesn't live outside the society. Every society changes its character as it evolves. Kerala is a lot more liberated than say some of the other states in the North of India. Maybe 50 years from now, which is a very brief period in history - Kerala would have changed for better. Should Kerala copy the western model? No. Kerala should evolve and create her own identity. It will only be possible through education and economic independence for women.


About Maya's 'Therandu Kalyanam' (roughly translates into Mensturation Wedding) is not a Hindu thing at all. Even the term Hindu is something that cannot be defined in a cultural sense.

The celebration of a young girl reaching puberty has always been limited to a few communities, especially dalits. This is a fossil remains of a tribal tradition - the celebration was to announce to the society that a girl in the family is ready to start a family! This tradition of 'therandu kalyanam' is not practised by a big majority. Maya, probably, is looking for sympathy from you. The untouchability thing is a lot of nonsense. Talk to another ten girls from different communities and find out whether the 'Maya example' is a common thing.

Bishop Moore College issue of Hindus being forbidden to go to temple... That could create a lot of political tension. I really don't want the neo-Hindu right wing activists to read this blog! You should verify with the college warden whether it is true. Kerala is very tolerant towards all faith and religions. If what you write is true, I insist you discuss this with Rev. TJ

What happened to Ruben is a crime. The teachers should be reported to the principal.

You wrote - you are not organizing, coordinating or even assisting.

Bite the bullet, girl. You ain't no management consultant who has been hired to fix an inefficient system.

Your mission is live the Indian experience and try to make some positive influences during that time. Why can't you take up the issues with the concerned authorities than 'simply sitting' and 'simmering'?

I can understand your frustration. You just need have a different perspective to your role. It is not just a case with you as a YAV, there are other YAVs too who are completely lost not knowing what their mission is.

India is a great teacher. The intangible Time has proven it. Whether you go back home from India learning something and contributing something to the larger experience is clearly your responsibility.


*smiles*

6:51 AM

 
Blogger Catherine said...

Simply Sitting Said...It is clear that you know me personally. I would enjoy having a conversation with you. Please write me an email at Crabens@hotmail.com.

2:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't pretend to know what you learned during your orientation, and I can't pretend to grasp the experience of devoting a year of one's life to living in India and doing this program. What I can comment on is that all of your blog entries are extremely thoughtful, honest, and balanced. You cannot be expected to solve or even necessarily address problems in a culture that you have been a part of for seven months. I am sure that you understand far better than your readers what actions you can or should take when you witness frustrating situations. You are an extremely responsible and passionate person, and personally I believe that if you felt it would be appropriate to intervene in a situation like Ruben's, you would have. You can only be expected to participate fully, fulfill the requirements of your position, respect the culture you have joined, and absorb the experience. Simply by writing this blog for those of us back in the US, you are providing a service beyond what is probably required of you. Readers here should hopefully realize that it is not our place to critique your thoughts or the actions you retell us; it is simply our privilege to share in them. But that's just my opinion.

3:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home