I lived in Mavelikara, Kerala from 2006 to 2007. Fast-forward to January, 2011 and I'm returning to Kerala for the first time in four years.

Monday, December 18, 2006

A Christmas Poem


So last year the volunteer at my site performed a piano recital for the Hostel Christmas Program and it is ALL I have heard about the past few weeks. I cannot play the piano, so I wrote this poem and, amazingly enough, had the guts to recite it for the Christmas Program on the 15th. In no way do I aspire to be a poet, thank goodness!

"I will never forget this holiday,
Celebrated with new warmth in the Indian way,
A glow of red replaces the cold of snow,
Preparations and decorations brightly show.

This is a holiday spent with new friends:
ente koothookaree.
Girls who've taught me to sing and dance,
To eat with my hands and laugh at every chance.

In the end it's not so different, you see,
The Christmases of you and me,
Just like humanity,
The facade may differ but inside is only similarity.

So Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night,
A wish for the world, as is only right,
A prayer for the homeless and those in need,
And thanks for happiness and grace, indeed."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cat,
Your uncle & Aunt (Dck & Paula)are friends of mine and ttold me about you....I'll be in Chennai, Pondicherry & Auroville in the beginning of February...check my web site...hope you can come to one of the concerts...all the best in the new year...Steve

6:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home