I lived in Mavelikara, Kerala from 2006 to 2007. Fast-forward to January, 2011 and I'm returning to Kerala for the first time in four years.

Monday, December 18, 2006

Never Thought I'd Say...

-"50 Rupees for a rickshaw ride! Preposterous, I'm walking." (50 rs = just over $1)
-"Please pour in my palm some of that yellow curd with whole peppercorns so I can drink it, yummy."
-"I can't wait to take an ice-cold shower!"
-"Fresh grape juice is my favorite!"
-"Look, my fellow American volunteers, there's a white girl in a bikini on the beach, scandalous!"
-"9 girls sleeping on 3 twin beds...no problem!"
-"Mineral water or boiled water?" "Boiled please!"
-"May I wear pants outside the house?"
-"How much does 1 gram of gold cost?" (at the jewelery store)
-"Can you teach me how to starch my clothes?"
-"I don't mind sleeping on a mattress of coconut fibre."
-"I handwash all my laundry."
-"Watch out for the ants in your pastry." "Oh, I don't mind the ants."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home