I lived in Mavelikara, Kerala from 2006 to 2007. Fast-forward to January, 2011 and I'm returning to Kerala for the first time in four years.

Monday, October 30, 2006

A Constant Question


What is a Missionary?

This week marks the end of the Ramadan fast. “The Hindu” newspaper describes in its October 24, 2006 issue the significance of the fast as bridging “the gulf between the rich and poor. As the rich experience the pangs of hunger, their thoughts go to the poor and the deprived, developing a sense of brotherhood.” To me this is significant in terms of my expanding definition of missionary for a few reasons: 1) Through the words of another religion, sometimes one views humanity in a newly accepting manner. Respect for another’s faith tradition should be a vital aspect of missionary-hood. 2) It describes faith in action. 3) It demonstrates accompaniment. 4) It leaves more to be done.

I arrived expecting to be challenged in my faith, and I am during reunions with Achen and the volunteers, but at home in Mavelikara ones faith seems to be defined by hymns memorized, prayers recited and being “best-friends” with Jesus. I do not memorize hymns. I prefer solitary, thoughtful prayer to the rapid-speed, group prayers done at 6PM each night at the hostel. Jesus is not my buddy; He is Jesus. As I struggle with this, I find myself reading Isaiah 42:3-4 (I’ve never been much of a Bible reader before, this has been a refreshing change for me), which to me is a great example of faith in ACTION--what I find most lacking. From Campus Crusades India to Mar Thomas conventions, I have praised and sang (even once appearing on PowerVision, the religious T.V. channel, yikes) but I feel disappointed by the lack of action to match their “zeal.”

When I first described the details of this program to one of my good friends, whose opinion I trust and care about, she gently expressed her reservation about calling me a missionary though I could tell inside there was much more hidden frustration. To me, it is an important part of my reason to be here. I find myself returning to my faith to help process what I am doing and opening the Bible more than I ever have in my life. It is important to acknowledge the evolution of the word “missionary” in our vocabulary. The Oxford English dictionary defines missionary as: “a person sent to teach others about Christianity.” Eeek. Maybe to me, “a Christian sent to accompany and learn from the lives of others” seems more appropriate.

In a service-learning class after reading a piece called “On Beggars” which redefines “beggars” though a non-Western cultural lens as those who make a choice to live without wasting, we were asked to make a vow about how we will react when faced with beggars. Acts 3:4 describes my vow and helps me to define “missionary.” Peter said, “Look at us,” a simple sentence that means so much. I vowed to acknowledge the humanity of those who approach me. Look a person in the eyes, with respect. Acknowledge that they are suffering. Understand that I cannot truly understand.

In India, I am doing my best to take that much deeper. To find Christ in everyone makes acknowledging ones humanity a bit more serious. To open myself to vulnerability by allowing myself to be taught by those I may consider “in need.” I find it necessary to seek out further opportunities to serve, and opportunities have arisen. I spend time at a school for kids with mental disabilities. I hope to soon join a group who provides food for those in in-patient care at a government hospital and another group to visit a local leprosy sanitorium.

Again, I’m overwhelmed by the need in comparison to the lack of action. I feel lucky to be here, learning about Christianity in this context. It inspires me to “act justly, love tenderly and walk humbly with God,” using the words of my Global Missions mentor. There is more to be done; I will probably feel that way in every chapter of my life. What a great inspiration and education to learn how to best effect change!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home